Hello, my name is Evil.  I know I am not a welcome guest at your societal garden party.  I know most of you like to ignore me or pretend I simply do not exist.  I know acknowledging me makes a lot of you queasy because it runs counter to the polite, oh-so-politically-correct, anti-absolutist, relativistic fantasy world you have created for yourselves. 
But let me warn you, and state this unequivocally:  I will not be ignored.
Oh, I know you’ve tried.  I concocted shootings and drugs and gang violence.  You relegated these occurrences to “news in brief” or ignored them completely as if I didn’t even exist that these were just normal byproducts of urban life and not clear evidence of my presence.   How rude of you.
Since you callously wouldn’t acknowledge my presence when the killings and shootings were merely one thug on another, I upped the ante and brought an innocent 10-year old on a playground into the mix.  Surely that would get me noticed.
Instead, you gave the credit to others.   You blamed the gun used.  You blamed poverty.  You blamed race.  You blamed Scott Walker.   (Seriously, isn’t that becoming a little cliché?  What, George W. Bush wasn’t available?  You’re embarrassing yourselves.)
But as I noted, I WILL NOT be ignored.   And so now I give you the Slender Man stabbings.   Who or what are you going to try to blame this time?
Race?  Ha!   Whites
Urban male culture?  Try again.  12 year old girls.
Guns?  Nope, A knife.
Gangs?  Don’t insult me!  A pajama party sleepover.
Poverty?  Better luck next time:  Middle class.
Milwaukee?  Try Waukesha.
Poor, underfunded, failing schools?  Not a chance.   Just to drive that point home a little more clearly I even used the modern-day mark of an affluent school – the school-issued iPad for every kid - as part of my play on this one.
And yet you continue to resist admitting my tangible existence.  You cling doggedly to your relativistic claptrap.  You live in a constant state of denial concerning the state of human nature.   You try to wish away the Hobbesian reality, even after I give you example after nasty, brutish and short example of unfettered individuals living in their own state of nature.  You believe that trying to constrain behavior by declaring the existence of any absolute of right or wrong makes you “intolerant,” something that you seem to believe is literally a fate worse than death.  You believe that your children are blank slates of creative virtue and it is society’s role not to besmirch them with judgment, rules or absolutes instead of realizing that from birth they are self-centered bundles of depravity for whom virtue is an inherently unnatural act that can only be instilled in them intentionally over time by patience, persistence, and discipline. 
In short: you have become frustratingly expert at finding other things to blame my acts on.  But I hope these last few weeks have shown you that for every denial or diversion tactic you employ, I will come up with something mind-blowingly new and shocking to prove I am real.   Now, will you please give me my name tag and my drink tickets and admit that I am here?     
You see, the real danger you face is not the Slender Man.  It is the hollow men and women that you are churning out with an assembly line level efficiency in your values-bereft society.   If you make ‘em, I’ll fill ‘em.   Because all of nature – even human nature – abhors a vacuum.
Hello.  My name is Evil.  I will not be ignored.